Monday, July 04, 2005

spiritual independence

I've spent this weekend wondering in the back of my mind whether we are truly a Free country or not. I haven't found an answer to it as there are arguments for and against. What I have been thinking about is spiritual independence. I think this is an absolutely necessary foundation for true growth and liberation.

I believe that we go through stages of spiritual growth, and in the beginning we need someone to hold our hands. This would be our mentor, guide, church, holy book, etc. Most of us spend most of our lives in this stage. It can be tragically debilitating. Letting go of this is as difficult of letting go of our mother's hand the first day of kindergarten. I know, some of us let go easier than others, but I believe that mother-child bond is the most powerful on the planet. We'd never have survived otherwise.

When I finally let go of my Spiritual Mother's hand, I found my long-lived fear of being alone to be completely unfounded. I found my Mother, my Father, my Lover, and my Friend fully contained inside of me.

Spiritual independence will allow me to stand on my own two feet, as well as join any other being in sacred worship of Divine Life.

No comments: